You may need to switch dog food due to many reasons. To ensure that your dog is comfortable with the transition, introduce the new food gradually:
This is an example schedule
Day 1: Keep 75% old food and provide 25% New Dog Food.
Day 3: Maintain a 50-50 Balance between old and new food.
Day 5: Provide 75% new food and keep 25% old food.
Day 7: Provide 100% new food.
The method detailed above helps smoother transition and allows you to check:
- Are there any reactions due to new dog food?
- Is your dog poop as usual?
- Is your dog enjoying the fresh food introduced to it?
- If it is a prescription diet, is your dog recovering from the condition?
- Does the new dog food help in the weight management of your dog?
Significant Reasons To Switch Dog Food
- Food allergies
- For effective weight management (gaining or losing weight)
- Your dog’s new stage of life
- Prescription Diet to treat a medical condition
- If you are adding a new pet